Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Best Among Us

"In April, the Vatican’s orthodoxy wing, the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith [follow known as the office of the Inquisition], , slapped down the majority of American nuns for being “radical feminists.”


It lambasted them for being too interested in poverty and injustice and insufficiently fixated on abortion and contraception the way the male hierarchy is.
The Vatican authorized a takeover by bishops of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious.
It was a legalistic, misogynistic maneuver and an affront to women who have dedicated their lives to the church."
I was raised as a Lutheran, and always had a fascination with the church of my Catholic friends. It seemed so exotic and surreal, which offered an attraction for one raised in the somber atmosphere of the Lutheran Church. I heard stories about nuns, some of them not flattering, and marveled at the outfits they wore, making them seem of another time.
Later in life, I somehow found myself working in a Catholic school in spite of my skepticism of some of the certainties of Faith, and it turned out to be one of the most satisfying experiences in my career as an educator. The biggest revelation during that time was how wonderful the nuns were. They were dedicated, devoted, loving, hard working and interesting people. I can honestly say they were among the most inspirational people I have ever known. Their examples regarding the journey of Faith shamed my often cynical view of religion and served as a model for me to grow on my own journey.
I have watched with dismay as the universally male church leadership of the church, trying to roll back Vatican II, have demonized the good souls who do so much of the Church's work. The manner of the criticism is all the more disturbing. The Bishops are attacking the nuns because of their focus on social justice, as if focusing on the least among us is contrary to church teachings. The irony is heartbreaking.
Carol Marin, journalist extraordinaire for the Chicago SunTimes, is taking the bishops to task.



Read more:     Nuns Who Won't Be Bullied


Read more:      Nuns Take to the Road


Read more:      Priests Come to Nun's Defense


Read more:      The Silence of the Nuns